Position Type: Consultancy contract, (5 days a week), 7.5 hours a day
Duration: 3 months
Application deadline: Wednesday 22nd May, 2019, 5 pm EAT
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
**Use the application form in the application package (Annex 1)
to submit your application to email@example.com. Not using the
application form will lead to automatic disqualification.*
Africa’s Voices Foundation (AVF) is a fast-growing start-up,
capitalizing on interactive media and digital communications to curate
and spark engaging discussions that convene citizens’ voices as evidence
and elevate them to the level of decision-making. We equip development,
humanitarian and governance organizations with unique capabilities to
listen intelligently to the citizens they serve. Spun out of
cutting-edge research at the University of Cambridge in 2014, we have an
established presence in East Africa and beyond with a vibrant growing
core team in Nairobi. Our clients include UNICEF, the European Union,
Oxfam, and the MasterCard Foundation.
Objectives of the position: To manage finance
functions in AVF. The assignment involves performing accounts duties,
working in close collaboration with the project teams. Ensuring proper
financial management, assisting in the preparation of budgets and strict
adherence to finance policies and ensuring proper procurement
procedures are followed.
You will also process all our financial transactions, keep track of
AVF Grants budgets, assist in the preparation of financial reports for
our donors, members and other stakeholders, ensure that our financial
and procurement procedures are accurately implemented and support our
Head of Finance with the audit process.
- Ensure that the accounting system is kept up to date
- Process all financial transactions in an accurate and timely fashion;
- Encode analytical accountancy
- Prepare and process the opening and closing of accounts (i.e. reconcile salaries)
- Prepare invoices for payment
- Review, monitor, manage and control all accounting, financing and
banking functions including checks to ensure postings in the accounting
system are accurate and complete.
- Manage payments and ensure that they are paid on time, authorized by
appropriate staff, and the financial process and procedures are
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations including bank reconciliations for review by your Manager
- Produce accurate end of month, end of year accounts and other financial reports on time for approval by your Manager
- Provide analysis and recommendations to improve efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and sustainability of the projects
- Prepare a budget tracking tool for accountable grants
- Keep track and regularly update of our budget-tracking tool;
- Provide support to budget holders as necessary;
- Under the direction of your manager, drive the process to prepare the budget for the AVF Kenya Projects.
- Communicate with key stakeholders to ensure accurate information is captured in the budget and management reports
- Closely monitor the bank account and the expenditure against the approved budget
- Regularly update your Manager on any over-spends and under-spends
- Prepare monthly management reports (including monthly budgets vs
actual reports with a detailed variance analysis) for review by your
- Prepare monthly reports for the director, quarterly accounts for the Board and annual accounts for the members;
- Oversee the financial operations of the organization and ensure
timely and accurate financial reports and practices including cash
management, payroll, financial disbursements, ledgers etc.
- Responsible for entering financial information and maintaining all financial records for projects and for the organization.
- Manage financial control, prepare and analyze budgets, develop
financial reports, and make recommendations to the organization on
- Obtain approvals on all procurements and purchases for the projects and for the organization.
- Monitor the expenditures to ensure that program funds are utilized appropriately by the close of the fiscal year.
- Ensure that all financial reporting is completed on time and submitted to partners and client.
- Oversee the financial audits of all projects of the organization.
- Provide financial inputs for proposal development, project
management, Human Resource Management policies, logistics, travel and
other areas of administration.
Working collaboratively with AVF Team
- Quick and efficient in responding to emails and general communication
- Share knowledge and work as part of a team.
- Direct and manage Finance and Grants Officer and any further staff added to the finance team in Kenya
- Operationalize the AVF Financial Policies and Procedures Manual
- Anything that may be required to support the financial operations
- Other duties as requested by your Manager
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or (ACCA) qualified, or a degree in accounting.
- Minimum 4 years Accounting experience in a fast-growing non-profit organisation/ social enterprise funded by accountable grants.
- Experience working with a project accounting software is required. Preferred experience in the use of Xero Software.
- Ability to work independently with strong team player skills.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organization and planning skills.
To apply, please send your filled-out application form and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5 pm EAT on 22nd May, 2019.